Being A Top 100 Mars One Candidate
In her presentation at Heavy Chef, Dr Adriana Marais presented a glimpse into how living on Mars will revolutionise the way we use and think about resources and the reasons behind volunteering for a one way trip to leave this planet.
I Want A One-Way Ticket To Mars
Dr Adriana Marais is the South African woman who signed up to move to Mars.
Here are some of the top insights from this Mars One Mission candidates Heavy Chef talk:
- Smartphones enable us all to hold the sum of human knowledge in the palms of our hands.
- The state of space exploration: There are currently only 7 people left on the planet who have stepped on the moon. These are Buzz Aldrin, Alan Bean, David Scott, John W. Young, Charles Duke, Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt. Let’s use this as motivation to send more people to space and to further expand on the sum of human knowledge.
- It’s not just human beings who will be going to Mars – it’s an entire ecosystem. Bacterial cells and crop seeds that have never left Earth will be travelling into space along with their human carriers, and that’s where quantum biology comes in.
- Quantum mechanics can help us understand how living things function. For example, quantum biology can help us to understand the first millionth of a second in the process of photosynthesis. This field of study has vast implications for how we can survive on another planet.
- Living on Mars will revolutionise the way we use and think about resources. Exploration drives innovation.